LESSON PLANS~ 2/3/2020- 2/7/2020
ALGEBRAIC EXPRESSIONS: 6.EE.1, 6.EE.2abc, 6.EE.3, 6.EE.4, 6.EE.6
Students will be able to:
- Write and evaluate expressions involving exponents
- Use the order of operations to evaluate expressions involving exponents
- Write algebraic expressions for real-world situations
- Identify and describe parts of expressions
- Evaluate expressions and formulas
- Combine like terms
- Use properties of operations to generate equivalent algebraic expressions.
- Identify equivalent algebraic expressions
MONDAY/Tuesday~ Identify an anchor chart for properties: commutative, associative, distributive, and identity. Students will sing songs and use rhythms to aid in remembering properties, so that they can apply them. Student work includes page 120 of Mastering the Grade 6 K-PREP in Mathematics.
Ixl skill: Y9, Y10, Y11, Y12
Understanding exponents: identifying the base and exponent, writing in expanded form, evaluating, modeling process on a calculator. Each day students will practice skills for pages 118 and 119 of K-PREP book.
ORDER OF OPERATIONS: PEMDAS/GEMDAS
Students will practice and apply order of operations. 123/124
Work will continue all week practicing the above skills.
WEDNESDAY/THURSDAY/FRIDAY~ identify and use appropriate vocabulary for Algebra Unit.
expression, variable, coefficient, term, constant, sentence, equation/equality, inequality, solution, base, exponent
Understanding algebra word problems. Pages 133/134
Algebraic cards will be placed at each table for partner work. They will match the algebraic verbal expression to expression. This will be first 6 minutes after bell work.
Combing like terms: Students will cut apart and match like terms for evaluating.
Students will also substitute numbers for variables. Pg 131
IXL skills assigned: Y1 and Y7